Due to limited personnel and volunteers this year, we are unable to host our traditional Western Montana Dirt Derby dryland race this October.
However, we will still offer a 1-day Mushing Clinic on October 14 for mushers of all levels. The clinic will include hands-on instruction and a fun run on the race course with unofficial times. Please register below if you plan on attending.
While we'll miss having the full race event this year, we hope this clinic will still allow the mushing community to connect and learn. Please contact us if you are interested or have any questions!
We look forward to returning with our complete 2-day race event in 2024! Thank you for your understanding.
Clinic topics will include:
- Dog breeds: All sizes and breeds of dogs welcome!
- Dog health/safety: Please ensure that your dog's vaccines are up-to-date. We ask that you do not bring unvaccinated dogs in the interest of keeping everyone's dogs healthy. Have a doggie first aid kit on hand just in case of scrapes.
- Fees: This event is FREE! Though, donations will be appreciated.
- Camping: Please inquire with the bitterroot mushers regarding camping. There are limited number of sites available and will be reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis through the club. Lodging is available via on-site cabins that can be reserved by contacting Lubrecht Experimental Forest.
- Cart-pulling: We are limiting our cart-pulling event to 4-dogs this year due to personnel constraints. Thank you for understanding.
- Questions: Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!
Here a list of things that may be helpful to bring, but it is not a problem if you can't bring everything on this list.
- Mushing/joring Gear: Extra mushing/joring gear will be provided. However, quantities are limited so please bring your own mushing equipment if you have anyy (e.g., dog harnesses, lines, scooter/bike with joring antennae, etc).
- Layers: Weather can be unpredictable and is often chilly this time of year. Make sure you are prepared with plenty of layers.